|The symbol of the 99 percent?|
Today I'd like to talk about something that's been on my mind lately, and since it's been meandering a lot lately maybe I need to bring it back into focus.
I've really been trying to wrap my head around what the Occupy movement is trying to do. I mean I understand that they are upset, and staging a protest to let the world know it. Apparently this is done by drum circles, wearing Guy Fawkes masks, chanting about the 99 percent and engaging in civil disobedience.
|A big fan of the pope.|
So his end game was to remove one repressive regime, and restore it with another one who arguably would be more of a puppet to the desires of the Catholic church. (Who at the time had a pretty bad track record of being nice to the people.)
So when they invoke his image, they are invoking one of a person who was willing to kill to bring oppression upon the people... But I digress. I understand the perception of what they think he symbolises, I just find it ironic.
I digress about that, because this diatribe is not about Guy, it is about the #Occupy movement, and what it means. So the argument goes, at least as I understand it, that 1% of the population control the majority of wealth, and consequentially power in a Capitalistic society, while the other 99% has very little. This is deemed unfair, expedited by the fact that the 1% doesn't seem to pay their fair share of the taxes. Of course this has manifested in the things like government bailouts, and the rich using their power to get richer, while the have nots get nothing.
|I actually have always thought this meme was dumb, but|
who am I to argue with the Internet. I just never understood
why cats can't spell and have bad grammar.
Ummm, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all real communism is pretty doomed to fail because humans are naturally greedy. It doesn't work in large scale economies, but works well in smaller situations. For instance a household where all incomes are put into family bank account which is used to pay the bills, buy the necessities, save for the future, and even buy some luxuries works great. However, when we try and run a country this way, there are too many different ideals on what the resources should be spent on, so a decision maker has to decide what is the best interests of the people. So this is can be installed as a dictator or a democracy. Well, we all know power corrupts, so a dictator will eventually use the resources for their own wants and needs. I'm not sure if a true democracy would work or not. It seems to me generally the masses would vote for their own needs as opposed to the good of all, so everyone would have mansions and Ferraris, with no food.
|As this picture is already captioned, this seems useless.|
What the protesters don't seem to realise is the solution is very easy. Just like in a democracy, everyone gets a vote in Capitalism, however, instead of everyone person getting a vote to elect a single person to do whatever, in Capitalism, we vote with our dollars. The more dollars we have, the more votes we get. As a result, what ever stuff is making money, the people who produce the stuff will make more of it. This is the reason that every new kids movie is in 3D, and that everything else is a copy of Twilight, Harry Potter, and the Hunger Games.
|Yes, apparently teenage girls are clearly the demographic|
Hollywood believes has the most money.
So I guess my point is this. If the 99% really wants to make an impact, sitting around parks, holding up signs, playing music and smoking weed is doing absolutely nothing except making those who are non-radicals, and the 1% do nothing but laugh at you and dismiss you as dirty hippies. Dirty hippies who want to reinstate the government with Catholic figureheads apparently! No, instead of fighting Capitalism, make it work for you. Bring the corporations who you believe treat the people unfairly to their knees. Stop voting for them and encouraging them with your dollars, and organise protest that they'll have to pay attention to... Protest against their bottom line.
|Oops! Sorry, our bad.|
I could go on, and maybe I will, but frankly, this has gone on too long as it is. I probably lost most of my readers up around the cat picture, so I will stop for now. Just also to let you know, I really do believe Capitalism works, and I believe that hard work can pay off in both personal satisfaction and stuff. I also hate when people say something is too hard, when they really mean I am too lazy to put in the effort to do it. I love my country, and I love my world, and I know that I have the right to try and change if I want to.
If more people looked at the 100% of the world than the 1% of their small piece of life, I really think that we could do something a little more effective.
Thanks for reading.